Wednesday 26 March 2008

maybe it's me....

Just got back from an afternoon East Cliff walk and walked down the Marina hill behind the cafe site. I noticed that more scaffold beams have been tied to the original structure and the scaffolder's were working. I was told the structure was to be made 'hurricane proof' and the beams would be supporting a metal roof to protect the building underneath.
The cost of this scaffolding masterpiece must be considerable to protect what must be only a third of the original listed structure. Why I wonder was nothing done for years to protect the whole building from the elements and then a decision made by the 'professionals' to demolish two thirds of the building in the name of public safety or restoration/conservation. Which reason was it I forget; that we are now left with nothing that needs to be 'preserved', it's all gone?
As my heading to this blog says 'maybe it's me'...
The new road and paved area to the new sea front development is looking good, quite a hive of activity with all those Tonka toy machines. I was very tempted to ask if I could 'have a drive'! Maybe not...

No comments: